When advertisements pop up on the browser while surfing the web, it can be annoying no matter which browser you are using. Not all pop ups are malicious, but some are. In some web browsers, you can disable pop ups as and when they appear by clicking on the notification and changing certain settings for that. Below is how to stop pop ups in your browser, so that it does not even appear in future browsing sessions.
How to Stop Pop Ups on Internet Explorer
You can reset the settings of Internet Explorer to return its settings to how they were when you first installed the browser on Windows. To reset the IE browser, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open the browser, click the icon on the top-right corner denoted by a turning gear, and choose Internet Options from the context menu.
- In the new dialog box that appears next, switch to Advanced tab and click on Reset
- In the new dialog box, put a tick mark next to Delete personal settings checkbox, and click Reset button for confirmation.
- Also, click on Close button when the browser resets and sends a dialog box confirming the same.
- After that, close the browser and reopen it to see if that has stopped pop up advertisements.
How to Block Pop Ups on Mozilla Firefox
If the ads are popping up while using Firefox, reset it to a factory default state while saving key browsing information such as bookmarks, autofill data, and passwords.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu button denoted by three-horizontal lines on the top-right corner, and choose Help from the drop-down.
- In case you cannot access the menu, key in about:support in the address bar of the browser and press Enter.
- On the right side of the Troubleshooting Information page, click on the Reset Firefox or Refresh Firefox
- To confirm the reset, click the same button when a new dialog box appears.
- The browser will now close and revert to factory default settings. When it is done, click on Finish.
Note that in case the reset is successful, an Old Firefox Data folder will appear itself on the desktop. In case it does not resolve your pop up ads problem, you can restore unsaved information by copying files to the new profile folder. In case you do not require the old folder on the desktop, you can delete the folder too.
How to Stop Pop Ups on Google Chrome
Type chrome://settings/content in the address bar, choose Ads button, and select the toggle switch to change the setting. Generally, Google Chrome blocks pop up ads by default. Whenever an ad pops up, you must have seen a notification in address bar denoting the same. By clicking on that, you can Allow pop-ups for a specific website. However, if pop ups persist while surfing the web, you will require advanced steps to work around the issue
- Open Google Chrome, click the menu button denoted by three-dot or three-horizontal lines on the top-right corner, and choose Settings from the drop-down menu. You can access the same by typing chrome://settings in the address bar of the browser and by pressing Enter.
- In the new page that displays Chrome’s settings, scroll down to and find the Advanced Click on the drop-down to explore the advanced settings of the browser.
- Find Restore settings to their original defaults and click on the button. Then, a confirmation dialog box will appear on-screen detailing what all will be restored. This will not clear saved passwords or bookmarks, so if you are good to go, click on Reset button to confirm that.
Uninstall Potentially Unwanted Programs
Search for Add or remove programs in the Start menu and open the same from the search results. Then right-click on a program that you do not recognize, and choose Uninstall. If you have installed any suspicious programs that probably triggers pop ups, removing that from the computer will fix the pop up issues.
Note that if pop up ads are showing on all browsers, then it could be a malware problem in the computer too. In which case, you will have to get rid of it using a trusted antivirus software. Get in touch with our certified browser support technicians to learn how to do that and how to stop pop ups from appearing on your PC once and for all.